204 Columbia Street, Union City, Indiana

204 Columbia 2

- The Basics -

Building Type: Retail

Zoning: Commercial

Status: Available

Current Use: Empty

Interior Condition: Good - Under construction

Exterior Condition: Good - Under construction

Roof Condition: New rubber roof installed 08/15

Rooms & Dimensions: Showroom (1013 sq ft), Office/Storage (318 sq ft)

Overall Size: 1331 sq ft private plus 839 sq ft common area

Utilities Available: Water, Natural Gas, Electric

Misc.: Common area is shared with four other business and includes a bathroom with shower and break room / kitchenette with stove, microwave, and dish washer.

- It's In The Details -

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

- History -

The Kerr building which houses 202, 204, 206, and 208 N Columbia Street, was originally built in 1898 by William Kerr and housed several businesses. The earliest recorded occupant of the corner section (202 N Columbia) was the Post Office in the early 1900’s. In 1919, it became Stewart’s Drug Store in a dramatic overnight move. Stewart’s Drug Store was located (where what is now the Corner Cupboard Hallmark Store) at the opposite end of the block and on the other side of the street. Other businesses that are known to have occupied the north sections of the building are; Gamble’s Hardware Store (late 40’s and 50’s), Whitey Snider’s Barber Shop (50’s), Nellie Wickersham’s Dress Store (50’s), and Smith’s Sporting Goods (early 60’s). On the Pearl Street side, the Kerr building housed Bill Turner’s Pool Hall, later to be Brook’s Music Store, and later yet, in the 30’s, Bill Reeves’ Poker Hall. The Miami Theater was the next business to occupy the space and would continue to do so throughout the 40’s, 50’s and early 60’s. When it was closed, it was used as a newspaper office. Also during the 20’s and 40’s, a door on the Columbia Street side led upstairs to a collection agency managed by Bill Riser, a beauty parlor, and the optometry office of Dr. Alexander. In 1966 the building was purchased by Walter Hap who combined all the stores into one large store – The Apothecary Shoppe. During the 90’s the upstairs was converted into apartments which still exist to this day. After the closing of the Apothecary Shoppe, the large area eventually became an auction house until 2015.

- The Plan (Floor Plan) -

- Location Location Location -

- Photo Gallery -